Don’t let all these ingredients intimidate you. They are all very important to this recipe…I just hope you have an electric can opener?
My husband says this is THE best chili he’s ever eaten AND it really does taste just like Wendy’s chili. It tastes even better after it sits for a couple of days. AND it freezes really well.
(You’ll notice I’m not a stickler when it comes to name brands. If it’s on sale, I buy it.) BUT, there are a few things I won’t buy generic….canned corn being one of them.
It makes a HUGE batch. I added every single ingredient in my 6-quart crockpot and as you can see, it’s filled to the rim.
- 2 pounds of fresh ground beef
- 1 liter tomato juice
- 1 (29 oz) tomato puree
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can bean, drain
- 1 onion, chop (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 c celery cut to cubes
- 1/4 c green pepper, cut to cubes
- 1/4 c chili powder (using less for mild chili)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for true flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
How to make
In skillet, brown mincemeat. Filter fat. Putting beef & rest ingredients in a 6quart saucepan. Covering pot also allows chilies to simmer about 1 to 1½ h, stir 15 minutes. You can also cook this in a slow cooker over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.