Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Swedish meatballs recipe. Tender and tender meatballs with a rich gravy sauce. Serve meatballs over mashed potatoes, pure comfort food. This recipe makes 24 meatballs.
Servings 8 servings
For Swedish meatballs:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (cooking oil), or as needed
- Half a teaspoon of nutmeg
- Half a teaspoon of ground spices
- Half teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup full fat milk
- 1/3 cup rusk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion, grated on the side of the grater
- 1 pound minced pork
- 1 pound lean beef (10%-15% fat)
To prepare the gravy sauce:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups regular beef broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make meatballs:
In a bowl, mix panko crumbs with milk. Add the rest of the ingredients to the meatballs and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
Add two tablespoons of oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook meatballs in 2 batches until golden brown and cooked through (6-7 minutes), stirring as needed. Add more oil as needed. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
How to make gravy sauce:
In the same skillet, melt the butter. Sift the flour into the flour and cook until golden.
Add broth, heavy whipping cream, and Dijon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Leave the sauce on low heat and let it thicken.
Add the meatballs again and stir in the gravy sauce. Cook until meatballs are completely heated through.