Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
Meatball Ingredients (Make 22 to 23 Meatballs):
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil for frying or use vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour for scooping meatballs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, wrappers removed
- 1 pound lean beef (7%-15% fat)
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 3 slices white bread (without the crust), cut into cubes or torn
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- salt and pepper as needed
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 56 ounces pureed tomatoes, (from 2-28 ounce cans)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 pound macaroni
How to make the best Italian meatballs:
- Combine bread slices with 2/3 cup water, set aside 5 minutes, then mash with a fork.
- In a large bowl add: 1 pound ground beef, 1 pound sausage, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 egg and mashed bread crumbs. Mix until well blended.
- Form into 1 1/2" meatballs (about a flat ice cream scoop of meat). Scrape/roll meatballs in flour, flicking off excess. Heat a deep, large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat with about 3 tablespoons Meatballs in 2 batches without crowding in skillet and fry until browned on all sides (about 6 minutes in total or 2 minutes per side), remove meatballs and set aside (don't worry about cooking at this point).
How to make easy marinara sauce:
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add more oil if needed and fry 1 cup chopped onion, stirring frequently, until soft and golden (5 minutes). Add 4 crushed garlic cloves and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- My heart 2 cans of mashed tomatoes and 2 bay leaves. Boil it over low heat (stir it to make sure it really boils and isn't just sending bubbles to the surface).
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet with the tomato sauce, partially covered or covered with a strainer from stains to reduce splattering and simmer for 30 minutes, turning the meatballs occasionally. The meatballs will become soft and the sauce will thicken. Five minutes before the sauce boils over low heat, add chopped fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to make spaghetti and meatballs:
- Cook pasta according to package instructions until done (or to desired doneness), then drain and return to the empty pot.
- Pour the sauce and meatballs over the pasta and toss gently. For family-style serving, transfer to a large platter, garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil and serve hot.