Best Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe
Southern Fried Cabbage is a crispy, delicious recipe that comes together in minutes. Thick-cut bacon, onions, peppers, and a hint of spice, you’ve got to try this for an easy dinner side.
Course: Side Dish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pound head of cabbage sliced & washed
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon cut in small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Toss the bacon into a large pot or pan, then place over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon until it’s browned, and most of the fat is rendered.
- Remove the bacon pieces from the pan/pot, then set to the side.
- Toss in the cabbage, peppers, and onions.
NOTE: EVERYTHING WILL NOT FIT INTO THE POT AT FIRST. ONCE IT COOKS, IT WILL SHRINK!
- Once the cabbage and other ingredients start to get tender( about 10 minutes) sprinkle in the salt, black pepper, garlic & onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so, then toss in the bacon.
- Stir the ingredients, then add everything into your serving dish.