Southern Black Eyed Peas Recipe
Delicious Southern Black Eyed Peas made with smoked turkey are savory and simple. Served over a bed of rice, perfection!
Cuisine: Soul Food, Southern
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time:1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 16 oz dried black-eyed peas
- 2 lbs smoked turkey tails
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic minced
- 64 oz low sodium chicken broth or regular,
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sort & rinse the beans under cold water.
- Let the beans soak overnight, or do a quick soak( directions should be on the back of the package of beans).
- Place the turkey tails into a large pot, and pour in 32 ounces of chicken broth.
- Turn the heat on high, and boil the turkey tails until tender.
- After the beans have been soaked, drain the excess liquid.
- Add the beans into the pot with the turkey tails,, and pour in the remaining chicken broth.
- Add in the minced onion and garlic.
- Stir the ingredient, cover, and turn the heat to medium.
- Let cook for 45-55 minutes, but be sure to stir occasionally.
- Check the beans to make sure that they are nice and tender, if not cook for a while longer.
- Taste the beans, add salt and pepper if needed.