Smothered Ribs Recipe
Slow-cooked and fall-off-the-bone tender, these ribs are smothered in a hearty, flavorful gravy. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: comfort food, Southern
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- 3 lbs pork or beef ribs membrane and excess fat removed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 36 ounces chicken broth or water
- 1 large onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Cut the ribs however you desire.
- Season the ribs with kosher salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Place the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add 1/4 cup of oil in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Once the oil gets hot, slowly start sprinkling in the flour while whisking.
- Once the flour/ oil mixture starts to brown, add in the chicken broth( or water).
- Whisk, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add in the onions & garlic.
- Decide whether or not, you’d like to add more seasonings. If you do, do so now.
- Whisk, then pour the gravy over the ribs in the Crock-Pot.
- Place the lid on the Crock-Pot.
- Set on high, and let cook for 4 hours.