Philly Cheesesteak Quesadilla Recipe
Philly Cheesesteak Quesadillas are filled with beef and melted cheese in a soft tortilla that is toasted on a skillet until crisp. This quesadilla recipe is great for a hearty lunch or easy dinner in under 30 minutes.
We love the classic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich, and putting those flavors into a quesadilla is brilliant and even easier. Quesadillas freeze well and leftovers can also be reheated, so it is a great make-ahead recipe and perfect for your meal prep. We love serving quesadillas with Taco Soup and of course topped with Pico de Gallo.
What is a Quesadilla?
A quesadilla is a Mexican dish. It is a tortilla is filled with cheese, spices of choice, meats, beans, and vegetables and cooked on a skillet. A simpler way to describe quesadillas would be a flat-loaded taco!
For this recipe, we used Philly Cheesesteak-inspired ingredients consisting of cubed beef, peppers, mushrooms, onions and loaded with cheese; then cooked until tortilla is crispy and filling is hot.
Ingredients for Quesadillas
Quesadillas are so versatile and can be filled with just about anything or a combination of ingredients. Today we share our beef quesadilla recipe.
- Flour Tortilla- Medium burrito size tortillas are typical. Smaller tortillas may be used which will result in more quesadillas. Buy quesadillas that fit the base of your skillet.
- Meat- Use good quality beef. Ribeye is the best choice for a Philly Quesadilla. You can also use top sirloin or steak of choice if you’re looking for a less expensive option. TIP: The meat may be cut into cubes or thinly sliced.
- Cheese- A mild provolone works best (avoid aged provolone). American cheese can also be used as a substitute. TIP: Shredded or sliced cheese will work in quesadillas though shredded cheese will melt faster.
- Vegetables- A mixture of red and green peppers, onion, and mushrooms. You can omit the bell peppers for a classic Philly combination.
- Seasoning- Salt, pepper, and freshly minced garlic are all you need.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Quesadillas:
- Cook meat. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add finely cubed meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook just until meat is fully cooked, stirring as needed. Remove meat from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Saute vegetables. While the meat is cooking, cube the peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Add to the same skillet with an additional teaspoon of oil and cook until vegetables are tender, cook over medium/high heat. Add the meat and minced garlic to the vegetables and cook until meat is reheated.
- Assemble the quesadilla. Spread a thin layer of mayo on 1 side of Tortillas. TIP: You can skip the mayo for a lighter taste. Add half of the mixture to one side of the quesadilla and top with cheese. Close the tortilla.
- Cook. Add both tortillas to a clean non-stick skillet and cook until tortillas are golden brown. Flip and cook until cheese completely melts. TIP: You can grease the pan with butter and/or oil for a crispier tortilla.
TIPS for the Best Quesadillas:
Though quesadillas are pretty easy to prepare, here are some tips to ensure success!
- To Make Them Spicy – If you love spicy food, add some hot sauce or sriracha to the mayo when spreading over the tortillas.
- Tortilla Sizes – You can use any tortilla size and fill with as much filling as desired. A smaller tortilla requires less filling added and will give you more quesadillas.
- Griddle – A griddle may also be used instead of a skillet to cook the quesadillas.
- Heat – Be sure to keep the heat at a medium. If you turn the heat up too high, the tortilla will burn and the cheese won’t melt.
- Cutting tortillas – It’s easiest to cut the quesadillas with a pizza cutter, though a sharp knife will also work.
- Freezing – Quesadillas may be frozen once assembled. Fully thaw then sauté until filling is hot.
- To reheat quesadillas – cook over low heat until reheated, flipping once.
I hope this hearty-loaded homemade quesadilla recipe will become a hit with the family. We love sharing new ways of enjoying the timeless flavors of Philly Cheesesteak.
Philly Cheesesteak Quesadilla Recipe
Homemade quesadilla recipe ready in under 30 minutes. Flour tortillas filled with beef, peppers, onions and mushrooms and loaded with cheese, then cooked until tortillas are crispy.
- 2 flour tortillas medium/ burrito-sized
- 1/2 lb beef (ribeye or top round), thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 6 oz mushrooms diced
- 3 slices provolone cheese (avoid aged cheese), sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp light olive oil divided
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 tsp mayo optional
In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil, once hot add the chopped meat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until meat is fully cooked. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, dice the mushrooms, and peppers. Sautee vegetables in the same skillet until tender, adding another teaspoon of oil if needed.
Add the beef back to the skillet with minced garlic, stir and cook until meat is reheated.
Spread mayo (if using) on the tortillas. Divide the filling between the tortillas, adding them to one side of the tortilla. Top the filling with sliced cheese and close the tortilla
Heat a skillet over med heat. For a crisper tortilla, add a little oil to the pan. Place the tortilla in the hot pan and sautee until the cheese is melted and the outside is golden and crisp, flipping once. Slice and serve.