Osso Buco Recipe
PREP TIME: 20 hrs
COOK TIME: 2 hrs
TOTAL TIME: 22 hrs
SERVINGS: 4 to 6 servings
Do not substitute bacon for the pancetta in this recipe.
For the Osso Buco:
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced into 1/4 inch cubes (see recipe note)
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds veal shanks (4 to 6 pieces 2 to 3 inches thick)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (1/4-inch dice)
- 1 medium onion, (1/4-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, (about 4 cloves)
- 3 to 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 to 2 cups chicken or veal stock
- Flour for dusting the meat before browning
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced flat (Italian) parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Brown the pancetta:
Heat a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add pancetta to pan, cook, stirring occasionally.
When the pancetta is crispy and most of the fat has been rendered (about 5 minutes of cooking), remove the pancetta to a plate covered with some paper towel and set aside.
If necessary, drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
Dredge shanks in flour, brown in the pan:
Season the veal shank well with salt and pepper. Dredge the veal shanks with some flour, shake off any excess, and add the meat to the hot fat in the pan.
Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the shanks on each side until well browned (about 5 minutes per side). Remove the shanks to a plate, set aside.
Dutch oven with meat for osso buco cooking inside.
Sauté onions, carrots, celery:
Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the Dutch oven. Cook the onion mixture, stirring frequently until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes), and toss in the garlic and thyme.
Continue cooking until the vegetables just begin to brown (about 10 minutes).
A blue dutch oven with osso bucco inside.
Return the shanks to pan, add wine and stock:
Add the shanks and the pancetta back to the pan. Pour in the wine and then add enough stock to come a little more than halfway up the sides of the shanks.
Bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and put it in the oven to cook until the meat is tender about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Ossobuco cooking in a blue dutch oven.
Combine the gremolata ingredients, place them in a separate small serving dish.
Serve on top of risotto or polenta. Sprinkle with gremolata.