Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes Recipe.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for ramekins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs (whole eggs)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced and more butter
- Grease four 8-ounce ramekins* with butter and sprinkle them with flour, shaking off excess flour, just as you would a cake pan.
- Place a mixing bowl over a medium saucepan with about a cup of water (the bowl should not be touching the water). In a bowl, mix 6 ounces semisweet chocolate with sliced butter. Bring the water to a simmer and use a spoon to stir it together until the chocolate and butter are melted and mixed well, then carefully remove from the heat and set aside while you make the egg mixture.
- Combine 2 eggs, 2 yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and beat with an electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes (using the egg beater or whisk attachment) until whisked and thick and light yellow.
- Pour the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Fold it in until mostly combined. Add 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and stir until completely combined.
- Divide among 4 molds and toss in oven at 450°C for 10-12 minutes (in a very hot oven) until the outsides are firm and dry and the centers are tender with the slightest jolt in the middle.
- Cool for 1 minute and then gently loosen cakes with a small knife (if necessary). Immediately turn onto plates so as not to label. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.