KFC Coleslaw Recipe
This KFC Coleslaw Recipe is as close as you can get without actually ordering it from the restaurant directly. The taste is simply perfect. Great dinner side dish or potluck recipe for summer gatherings, or brunches and luncheons all year round. It’s so good!
After being in the test kitchen all week, we’ve designated Fridays as our “order in” day. Or is it “order out”? All I know is, I don’t have to cook. During this past year, DoorDash has become a good friend, where my kids pick what they want and it’s delivered usually within an hour. My daughter chooses something different each week, whereas my son picks KFC every.single.time.
My favorite thing on their menu is the coleslaw, but it’s not offered as an a la carte side for some reason – the only way you can get it is to order a meal. So I set out to recreate it. This KFC Coleslaw Recipe is spot on or at least as close as you can get without actually going and ordering it from KFC directly.
KFC Coleslaw Recipe
In order to make this recipe, you’ll need the following Coleslaw Ingredients:
- Whole milk
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to Make KFC Coleslaw
It’s very simple to make copycat KFC coleslaw in just a few steps:
- Finely chop the cabbage, carrots, and onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Add the veggies to the dressing and mix to thoroughly coat.
- Cover and chill in the fridge overnight. Give it a stir before serving.
Important Tips for Making Authentic KFC Coleslaw
- Chop the vegetables very fine: The cabbage, carrots, and onions are all chopped very fine, almost like the size of rice. You can chop them with a sharp knife, or if you have a food processor with a shredding attachment, use that and then finely chop with a sharp knife.
- There are only 3 vegetables: You can buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw and finely chop that if you prefer. But keep in mind that true KFC Coleslaw only contains green cabbage, carrots, and onions, so don’t use the packaged cabbage that has red cabbage or any herbs.
- Don’t omit the sugar: Every single ingredient in this recipe is important and what makes the coleslaw taste authentic, including the sugar. It balances out the acidity in the vinegar and lemon juice. If you’ve ever had their coleslaw, you know that it’s a little sweet. That’s from the sugar.
- Chill overnight: At a minimum, the coleslaw should chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours, but for optimal flavor let it chill overnight. And if you have time (and can remember!) stir it occasionally. This will give you the absolute best results.
Make-Ahead and Storing Leftovers
- Make-Ahead: You can make the dressing and vegetable mix up to 5 days ahead, and keep them stored separately. Then combine for a fresh batch.
- How long does KFC Coleslaw last in the fridge? Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use them within 3 days. Always stir before serving. The longer it sits, the soupier it gets. If that bothers you, simply strain off the excess liquid.
What to Serve with Coleslaw
We love this coleslaw served with many of our chicken dishes, including Air Fryer Chicken Tenders, Chicken Wings, and Grilled Chicken. It’s also so good on hot dogs and tacos. It’s really delicious all on its own!
KFC Coleslaw Recipe
This KFC Coleslaw Recipe is as close as you can get without actually ordering it from the restaurant directly. The taste is simply perfect!
For the Coleslaw
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 1/2 tablespoons very finely minced yellow onion
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
Chop the vegetables very fine: the cabbage, carrots, and onions are all chopped very fine, almost like the size of rice. You can chop them with a sharp knife, or if you have a food processor with a shredding attachment, use that and then finely chop with a sharp knife. (See note about using a pre-shredded coleslaw mix.)
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing. Whisk until smooth.
Add in cabbage, carrots, and onion; mix well until everything is thoroughly coated.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. (If you have time – and can remember! – stir it occasionally. This will give you the absolute best results.) Stir again before serving and enjoy!
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 209mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 617IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg
You can buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw and finely chop that, if you prefer. But keep in mind that true KFC Coleslaw only contains green cabbage, carrots, and onions, so don’t use the packaged cabbage that has red cabbage or any herbs.