Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is the quickest and easiest way to make perfect mashed potatoes.
Serve these mashed potatoes with Juicy Roast Chicken and a side of Roasted Carrots for the perfect dinner (don’t forget the Gravy).
If you love classic Stove-top Mashed Potatoes, but want to save yourself some time and effort, this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe will become your go-to.
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
We’re definitely making mashed potatoes way more often with the instant pot. Here’s why we love this method so much:
- Quick Cooking – Potatoes in the instant pot take only 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Better Flavor – The potatoes are essentially steam-cooked on high pressure so the nutrients and flavor aren’t lost to the cooking water.
- No Draining Required – The potatoes absorb the liquid in the pot so you can skip the draining step.
- One-Pot – You can cook and mash all inside the bowl of the instant pot so there are fewer dishes to clean.
- Perfectly Cooked – Pressure cooking ensures the potatoes are fully cooked through, perfectly tender, and not lumpy.
The Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes:
Russet potatoes are the preferred variety for making mashed potatoes because of their lighter color and creamy texture. You can also use waxier potatoes like Yukon potatoes or gold potatoes, but they will be more yellow in color and have a slightly different consistency and flavor. We have tested both and often use whichever we have on hand.
Cooks Tip: You can use either water or low sodium chicken broth for the potato cooking liquid. Water will keep the potatoes lighter in color while broth adds more flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
This mashed potatoes recipe is so simple. Make it once and you will probably have it memorized.
- Place metal trivet into 6 Qt instant pot and add 1 cup water (or broth) with 1 tsp salt.
- Add peeled and quartered potatoes over the trivet.
- Cover, seal and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes with a quick pressure release. Potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the trivet (it comes out easily) and coarsely mash potatoes.
- Add 1 cup warm milk, or add to desired consistency then blend in 6 Tbsp melted butter.
- Whip with an electric hand mixer for the smoothest mashed potatoes.
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Potatoes:
- Use a trivet so your potatoes are perfectly steam-cooked without any brown edges.
- Cut the potatoes so they are uniform in size and large enough to sit on the rack without slipping through.
- Salt to Taste after mashing and add more at the end if needed.
Have Leftover Mashed Potatoes? Use leftover potatoes to make our famous cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes. They are family-friendly, use simple ingredients, and are quick and easy to make.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is just another reason to love your instant pot. It’s a time saver and produces consistently great results every time.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is the quickest and easiest way to make perfectly cooked and silky smooth mashed potatoes.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and quartered (about 7 medium/large potatoes)
- 1 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp of sea salt or added to taste
- 3/4 cup warm milk or added to desired consistency
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter softened or melted
- 1 Tbsp parsley or chives (optional to garnish)
Insert trivet into instant pot bowl. Add 1 cup water or chicken broth and add 1 tsp salt.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters (large enough that they won’t fall under the trivet (about 1-inch thickness). Place potatoes over the trivet, adding the largest pieces first (so they don’t fall through).
Cover with lid, set the valve to ‘sealing’ position then cook on manual high pressure for 10 min with a quick release. Once pressure has released, remove the lid then remove the trivet using tongs or an oven mitt. Don’t drain the water.
Mash with a potato masher then add the warm milk to your desired consistency. Finally, mix in the softened butter just until blended. For a smoother consistency, blend the potatoes with an electric hand mixer until no lumps remain. Season to taste with more salt if desired.