Hoppin’ John Recipe
Hoppin’ John, a traditional southern New Year’s Recipe made of Black-eyed Peas, Rice, and Collard Greens!
Hoppin’ John is a combination of black-eyed peas, rice, and collard greens. This popular southern dish is a New Years’ treat. Whip this recipe together in less than 30 minutes!
Course: Main Dish, Side Dish
Cuisine: American, Southern/ Soul Food
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 lb bacon cut
- 1 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 2 cups collard greens frozen
- 15 oz can of black-eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp salt-free seasoning or 1 tsp seasoning salt & 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place the bacon into a large skillet, and fry it over medium heat.
- Once the bacon starts to brown( do not drain the bacon grease), add in the collard greens.
- Cook until the collards are tender, then add in the onions.
- Sprinkle in the seasonings.
- Next, add in rice, and fold in.
- Toss in the black-eyed peas, and carefully fold everything until well combined.