Grilled Mexican Street Corn
Sweet, tender, and spicy! This Mexican Street Corn is all of it! It is full of vibrant colors and bold flavors and will turn your summer BBQ into a fiesta! Of course, the best part is how incredibly easy it is to turn regular grilled corn into the show stopper that this Mexican Street Corn is!
- 8 ears sweet corn
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (feel free to use vegan mayo)
- 1/4 cup of crema or sour cream
- 1/2 each lime (juice and zest)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced on a Microplane)
- ½ cup cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 2 limes (garnish, quartered)
- 1 tbsp of Kenny’s special spice mix plus extra for sprinkling on top
Fill up a large pot with water and place the corn in the husks into the pot, ensuring the corn is covered. Allow the corn to sit in the water for 15 minutes so the husks soak in the water. This will prevent them from burning up on the grill.
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Remove the corn from the pot and place the corn on the grill and grill for 7-10 minutes per side or until tender on the inside. If when removing the husks from the corn, the corn does not have enough color, place the corn onto the grill and allow it to char for a bit to get some more color.
While the corn is grilling, in a bowl combine mayonnaise, crema, garlic, finely chopped cilantro, 1/2 of the lemon zest and all of the lemon juice, and 1 tbsp of Kenny’s special spice mix.
Remove the corn from the husks carefully as they will be hot.
With a pastry brush or a knife, apply the seasoned mayonnaise to all the sides of the corn while it is hot. This works better with a pastry brush because you get even coverage without using too much of the mix.
Sprinkle the corn with the cotija cheese.
Sprinkle with roughly chopped cilantro, extra Kenny’s spice mix, and squeeze with limes. Serve immediately.
1. When grilling corn in the husks, if you soak the corn for 15 minutes in water, the husks will not burn up on the grill right away and will allow for even cooking.
2. You can very easily make this vegan by using vegan mayonnaise and omitting the cheese. It will still be delicious!