Easy Homemade Dutch Oven Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Rising Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 25 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
Cost to Make: $4-$5
Course: Bread, Side Dish
Servings: 8 people (makes 1 loaf of dutch oven bread)
Ingredients for 5-Seed Dutch Oven Bread:
- 1 1/2 cups 12 oz warm water (100˚F)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 3/4 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, plus extra flour for dusting*
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted plus more for the top of the bread
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted plus more for the top of the bread
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Linework surface with parchment paper and trim the corners to fit better in the dutch oven. Sprinkle the center 9″ of parchment with 1 Tbsp cornmeal or semolina and set aside.
How to Make 5-Seed Dutch Oven Bread:
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups warm water, 2 Tbsp honey, and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Stir until honey dissolves then sprinkle with 3/4 Tbsp yeast. Let sit at room temp 5 min. Stir in 3 cups flour and all the seeds. Stir with a spatula until it comes together and seeds are incorporated (no kneading required). The dough will be very sticky. Cover bowl with lid or plastic wrap and rest at room temp (70˚F) for 2 hours or until tripled in volume.
- Sprinkle dough with flour and use a spatula to fold the dough in half then fold in half again. Sprinkle generously again with flour and with well-floured hands, lift up the dough and form a ball in your hands. Place over the center of your prepared parchment paper with the folded seam side down. sprinkle the top with extra seeds if desired. Let rise uncovered at room temp for 40 min.
- Place the empty dutch oven and lid inside the oven and preheat the oven to 450˚F. Once preheated, remove the dutch oven and place it on the stove. Be careful not to touch the dutch oven or lid without oven mitts because it will be blazing hot. Lift bread with parchment paper and set it in the center of the HOT dutch oven. Cover with lid and bake at 450˚F for 30 min. Carefully remove the hot lid and bake another 2- 5 min or until the top is golden brown. Remove bread from the dutch oven with the help of parchment paper and place bread directly on the wire rack. Cool until it’s nearly room temperature before slicing.
- To accurately measure flour: spoon flour into a measuring cup and scrape off the top with the back of the knife.
- If you aren’t able to find toasted seeds, toast them on a dry skillet for a few minutes until golden and fragrant.
- NEVER slice into hot bread or it will release too much steam and become gummy