EASY BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
Rich and hearty homestyle Beef Barley Soup! Made with tender chunks of beef roast, nutritious whole grain barley, fresh veggies, and a deliciously seasoned broth. A soup that’s sure to warm the soul on chilly days!
Makes about 11 cups, or more if water is added at the end.
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 2 hours
Ready in: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of excess chunks of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 (32 oz) cartons low-sodium chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary, or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Dab beef dry and add 1/2 or 1/3 of beef, adding just enough not to overcrowd. Season with salt and pepper. Let sear until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes then flip and cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer beef in pot to a plate along with juices and repeat process with remaining beef adding in another 1 Tbsp oil to pot.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to the now-empty pot. Add carrots, celery, and onion and saute for 3 minutes.
Add tomato paste and garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return beef to pot.
- Bring mixture to a simmer then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beef is fairly tender, about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Add barley, cover, and simmer until cooked through and beef is tender, about 45 – 60 minutes longer.
- Stir in parsley. Serve warm.
How to Make Beef Barley Soup in the Slow Cooker
- Sear the beef in a pot with olive oil.
- Transfer beef to a crockpot with the remaining ingredients except for parsley.
- Cook on low 7 – 8 hours then stirs in parsley.
How to Make Beef Barley Soup in the Instant Pot
- Select the “saute” setting on the pressure cooker. Add oil.
- Brown beef in 2 – 3 batches. Turn to “off” setting. Return all beef to Instant Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients (except parsley) also reduce broth to 7 cups (since it doesn’t really steam off like other cooking methods).
- Cover and set valve to “sealing” position. Select “manual mode” and adjust the time to 20 minutes.
- Once cooking time is up let pressure come down naturally for at least 10 minutes then carefully quick release any remaining pressure.