crispy edges, a tender, and moist crumb, and lots of flavors all in one !! Believe it or not, this easy homemade cornbread recipe is an essential barbecue side, thing-that-makes-chili-worth-eating, cultural mainstay, even dessert when it has to be…It goes with everything, so try it out and see yourself!!
– Cornmeal: 1 (120g) cup
– All-purpose flour: 1 cup, about 125g (spoon & leveled)
– Baking powder: one tspn
– Baking soda: half a tspn
– Salt: 1/8 tspn
– Unsalted butter: half a cup, about 115g (melted and slightly cooled)
– Light or dark brown sugar: 1/3 cup (67g) (packed)
– Honey: 2 (30ml) tbsp
– Egg: 1 at room temperature (large)
– Buttermilk: 1 (240ml) cup (at room temperature)
1. Before you begin, set the temperature of the oven to 400°F (204°C) and grease and lightly flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. Then you’re going to get a large bowl and whisk in the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and honey. The mixture should be completely smooth and thick. And please whisk in the egg until combined. Immediately, whisk in the buttermilk. Once done, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisk just until combined.
3. You’ll want to pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through, it takes around 20 minutes. Using a toothpick, test if the edges are crispy. Cool slightly before slicing and serving. I prefer to serve cornbread with butter, honey, and jam, but you can select whatever you like.
4. To finish, tightly wrap leftovers up and store them at room temperature for up to 1 week.
#RECIPE NOTES :
* Freezing Instructions: When it comes to freezing baked cornbread, you should freeze for up to 3 months (for longer storage). You’re recommended to allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave or bake for 10 minutes in a 300°F (149°C) oven.
* Buttermilk: Even if you don’t have buttermilk, an essential ingredient for this recipe, you can make DIY sour milk by simply adding 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. At this time, add enough whole milk to make 1 cup total, and please stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes before using. I prefer whole milk when I want a moist and rich texture. but lower-fat or non-dairy milk in a pinch is also fine.
* Optional add-ins: 1-2 chopped jalapeño peppers, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup total dried cranberries and walnuts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
* Skillet Cornbread: Whenever I desire to want a heartier and crunchy crust, I bake cornbread in a skillet. Just make sure to bake it in a 9-inch or 10-inch oven-safe greased skillet at the same temperature for the same amount of time.