Classic Chicken Parmesan
This classic Chicken Parmesan is as good as it gets! It has a parmesan crust that seals in the juiciest chicken breast, topped with Homemade Marinara and a generous amount of melted cheese. The process to make this is surprisingly quick and easy.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe:
This is the classic version of Chicken Parm. A restaurant-quality Chicken Parmesan is so easy to recreate at home (for a fraction of the price). Since this chicken is breaded and covered in sauce, it also reheats really well so you will appreciate any leftovers. This is among our family’s favorite 30-minute meals.
This Chicken Parmesan Recipe is wonderful over hot pasta and served with Caesar Salad or Roasted Asparagus on the side. It can also be served as a hot sandwich on a toasted bun; yum!
What is Chicken Parmigiana?
The Italian name is Chicken Parmigiana and in the US, it has been nicknamed Chicken Parm, short for Chicken Parmesan. It is essentially breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce and cheese and is similar to Eggplant Parmesan.
How can something so simple be THIS good you ask? You only have to try it once and you will know why everyone is talking about this dish. P.S. If you want to take this a step further, you can also make Stuffed Chicken Parmesan.
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Parmesan:
You just need a few pantry staples to make Chicken Parm. This is the best with homemade marinara sauce but if you’re in a hurry, you can absolutely use your favorite store-bought marinara. All you need for the perfect chicken parm is:
- Chicken breasts
- Flour, salt, and pepper to dredge
- Eggs, for the egg wash
- Italian bread crumbs and parmesan for the crust
- A good cooking oil
- Marinara Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Parsley or basil to garnish
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken:
- Mak the easy 20-minute homemade marinara and while it simmers, continue to prep the chicken.
- Cut 2 chicken breasts in half length-wise for 4 cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- Set up 3 shallow bowls: In the first bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper, in the second bowl, beat together 2 eggs, and in the third bowl, stir together parmesan and bread crumbs
- Dredge chicken in flour, dusting off excess, then dip in eggs and turn to coat in bread crumbs.
- Once all chicken is breaded, heat a large non-stick skillet with enough oil to lightly coat the bottom and saute 3-4 minutes per side or until just cooked through at 165˚F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour half of your marinara sauce into a casserole dish. Arrange chicken pieces over marinara in a single layer. Spoon on marinara sauce and top with cheese then bake in a casserole dish at 425˚F for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Cook’s Tip: If chicken cutlets are large or uneven, use a meat mallet to pound between plastic wrap into 1/3″-thick cutlets and they will cook faster and more evenly.
Can Chicken Parm be Made Ahead?
You can saute the breaded chicken, arrange in a casserole dish, and top with marinara and cheese, then cover and refrigerate. Bake before serving, but be sure to bake a few minutes longer since you are baking chilled chicken. Check the internal temperature of the chicken with an instant-read thermometer to ensure that it bakes to a safe 165˚F.
For a Healthier Baked Chicken Parmesan:
While we prefer sauteing the chicken lightly in oil because it is faster and uniformly golden, you can skip the pan-frying step and make this a healthier Baked Chicken Parmesan.
To make baked chicken parm, complete steps 1 through 3, lightly coat breaded chicken breasts with cooking spray on all sides, and bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes then continue with the recipe in step 5.
This Chicken Parmesan is so easy, perfect for busy weeknights, and will send your family running to the table.
Classic Chicken Parmesan
Classic Chicken Parmesan recipe with parmesan-crusted tender chicken, topped with marinara and cheese. Chicken Parm is an easy, excellent chicken dinner.
- 2 chicken breasts (large), about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten until frothy
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- 2 Tbsp Light olive oil to sauté
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese (1 cup shredded)
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil or parsley, chopped for optional garnish
Trim chicken breasts and slice in half length-wise so you end up with 4 equal-thickness cutlets.* Season with salt and pepper.
In a shallow bowl, stir together 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. In a second bowl, whisk 2 eggs until frothy. In a third bowl, stir together 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
Dip both sides of each chicken cutlet into the flour, tapping off excess, then dip in beaten eggs, letting excess egg drip off and finally dip into the cheesy breadcrumbs, pressing cutlets into breading to ensure a thick, even coating of crumbs.
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add chicken in batches (don't crowd the pan), sautéing 3-4 min per side or until golden brown and just cooked through.
Pour 1 1/2 cups of marinara into a 9×13 casserole baking dish. Arrange chicken over sauce in a single layer. Top each chicken down the center with the remaining 1 1/2 cups marinara, then cover with shredded mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 425˚F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil if desired.
*Cook’s Tip: For large chicken breasts, pound your chicken between plastic wraps into even 1/3″-thick cutlets.