Chicken Lasagna Recipe
This white sauce Chicken Lasagna is so satisfying with layers of lasagna noodles and tender chicken in a creamy spinach sauce. Just like our Classic Lasagna, this white lasagna reheats really well, making it perfect for meal planning. Make it and you will get recipe requests.
Learn how to make the best cheesy, saucy Chicken Lasagna! You can cook fresh chicken for this casserole but it’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken (or even leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!).
Ingredients for White Sauce Chicken Lasagna Recipe:
There are 4 main components to a creamy white chicken lasagna: lasagna noodles, a simple bechamel spinach sauce, and a ricotta cheese sauce. Don’t forget the chicken! You can cook your own Instant Pot Chicken or use a store-bought Rotisserie Chicken.
Pro Tip: We always cook an extra couple of noodles in case any of our lasagna noodles break while cooking.
Can I Use Canned Chicken?
We love canned chicken recipes like our easy Chicken Melts and Buffalo Chicken Dip since we always have it on hand in our pantry. Using canned chicken will work for chicken lasagna, just be sure it is well-drained.
How to Assemble Creamy Chicken Lasagna:
The process of assembling a chicken lasagna is simple. We found it’s easiest to spread the thicker ricotta sauce over the noodles and ladling the spinach sauce ensures the chicken layer is moist and juicy. For best results, follow this order.
- Spread 1/2 cup spinach sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole
- Add 3 noodles, 1/2 ricotta sauce, 1/2 shredded chicken, 1/3 of spinach sauce
- Add 3 noodles, 1/2 ricotta cheese, 1/2 shredded chicken, and 1/3 spinach sauce
- Remaining 3 noodles, remaining 1/3 sauce, and sprinkle on reserved 1 cup cheese.
Tips for Reheating Chicken Lasagna:
This white sauce lasagna reheated really well and leftovers are just as enjoyable as freshly baked lasagna. Here are some tips for reheating so the lasagna doesn’t dry out.
- Add Water – Since noodles will naturally soak up some liquid in the lasagna as it sits, it helps to sprinkle on a little bit of water before reheating in the oven or the microwave.
- Visual Cues – Heat until the edges bubble and the cheese is fully melted on top.
- 165˚ F Center – You should reach a safe internal temperature of 165˚F on an instant-read thermometer.
How Long Can Leftover Lasagna be Stored?
Chicken lasagna will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator if you were using freshly cooked chicken. You can also wrap tightly in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
This lasagna is a meal in itself. All you need is a simple salad to go with it like our Classic Caesar Salad or fresh Beet Salad with Arugula.
Our Best Lasagna Recipes:
If you love lasagna as much as we do, these recipes are a must try and you’re sure to find some new favorites:
- Italian Lasagna – with a rich, beefy tomato sauce
- Lasagna Roll-Ups – so easy to serve these lasagna rolls
- Slow Cooker Lasagna – a make-ahead recipe
- Homemade Marinara – our favorite sauce for lasagna
Chicken Lasagna Recipe
This white sauce Chicken Lasagna is so satisfying with layers of lasagna noodles and tender chicken in a creamy spinach sauce.
Chicken Lasagna Ingredients:
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked al dente
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken or cooked from 2 lbs chicken breast
Spinach Cream Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or equal parts of heavy cream and milk)
- 5 oz fresh spinach coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
Ricotta Cheese Sauce:
- Ricotta Cheese Sauce:
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese 12 oz by weight, divided (reserve 1 cup for topping)
Cook Noodles & Prep:
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente according to package instructions then drain hot water and add cold water to the pot to stop the cooking process and prevent noodles from sticking together. Shred 4 cups of chicken.
Make the Belachamel (Spinach Sauce):
Place a pot or large saucepan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute onions for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add 4 Tbsp butter and whisk in 1/3 cup flour. Continue whisking 3 minutes or until flour mixture is golden.
Add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups half and half, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Whisk until smooth and simmer 5 minutes until thickened to a light gravy consistency.
Add minced garlic and chopped spinach, and stir to combine then remove from heat.
Make the Ricotta Cheese Sauce:
In a large bowl, whisk together: ricotta, egg, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan, and 1/4 cup parsley.
To Assemble Chicken Lasagna:
Add a little bechamel sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish, add 3 noodles, Add 1/2 ricotta sauce, 1/2 shredded chicken then ladle 1/3 of spinach sauce over the chicken.
Add 3 noodles, 1/2 ricotta cheese, 1/2 shredded chicken, and 1/3 spinach sauce
Add 3 noodles, remaining 1/3 sauce, and sprinkle on reserved 1 cup cheese.
Cover and Bake: Arrange 10-12 toothpicks over the top to keep the foil from touching the cheese then cover with a large sheet of foil. Bake on the center rack in a preheated oven at 375˚F for 45 minutes then uncover and broil 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese. Rest at least 10 minutes uncovered before slicing.