Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
To Make Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes:
- Slice the potatoes (I use a mandoline slicer to make it quick) and drop the potatoes into boiling water for 5 minutes (this is a huge time saver).
- Mix the white sauce ingredients together.
- Layer the sauce, potatoes, and cheese in a 9×9 baking dish
- Top with more cheese
- Bake the cheesy scalloped potatoes until golden and bubbly.
Can You Freeze Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes can sometimes change texture when frozen, so scalloped potatoes taste best when made fresh. If you plan to freeze them, make sure you have already baked them first. Raw potatoes can still oxidize in the freezer, causing them to turn grey.
Cheesy scalloped potatoes should last up to a month in the freezer. The trick to ensuring they taste great is in the reheating, like most potato side dishes, we prefer to reheat in the oven with a little bit of fresh cheese added on top.
Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
This scalloped potatoes recipe is quick and easy to put together yet tastes incredibly delicious!
- Mandoline Slicer
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1 can cream of mushroom chicken or celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Wash potatoes and slice ¼″ thick (no need to peel). Drop into boiling water for 5 minutes. During the last minute, add sliced onions to the water. Drain.
Meanwhile, combine soup, milk, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl. Microwave until hot.
Put a little bit of the soup mixture in the bottom of a greased 2 QT casserole dish, a 9×9 pan, or an oven-safe pan. Layer ½ of the potatoes, ½ of the soup mixture, and ½ of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
Bake at 375°F for 45-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Calories: 264, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 41mg, Sodium: 268mg, Potassium: 747mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 455IU, Vitamin C: 18.6mg, Calcium: 370mg, Iron: 5.2mg