Brown Sugar and Pineapple Baked Beans
Dress up drab canned baked beans with some brown sugar, pineapple, and molasses. It’s the perfect side dish for a summer BBQ party!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 415 oz cans of navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 20 oz canned pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mild molasses
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- Tbsp of lemon zest
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1 tbsp celery flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Salt and pepper season to your taste
- Drain and rinse the beans, then set them to the side.
- Brown the ground turkey over medium heat, and drain all visible fat.
- In a large bowl combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, water, and lemon zest.
- Put the beans in a 9×13 along with the cooked ground turkey, onions, peppers, and pineapple.
- Stir the ingredients until everything is well incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the celery flakes, and salt & pepper.
- Pour in the pineapple juice and brown sugar mixture.
- Make sure everything is well combined, then cover the baking dish with foil or lid.
- Bake at 350 F for one hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the oven, and scoop out about 1 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the liquid with 1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch and mix until it’s lump-free.
- Pour the liquid back into the baking dish, and stir.
- Cover the beans back up, and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the oven, uncover, and stir.
- Let cool until they are safe to eat.