Apple Rice Pudding Recipe.
Apple Rice Pudding Recipe
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup white or brown raisins
- 2 cups cooked white rice as jasmine, from 2/3 cup uncooked ** see below
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds Grandma Smith apples (4 medium), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick cubes
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs* (plain dry breadcrumbs)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Baking casserole dish 9 x 13 x 2 inches butter base and sides
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat and melt in 4 tablespoons butter. Once the butter has come to a boil and is slightly browned, add 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs and stir constantly until lightly toasted and golden brown, then immediately remove from the heat and set aside to prevent overcooking.
- In a large bowl, combine diced apples with 1/3 cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon, then stir in 2 cups cooked white rice and ¼ cup raisins. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs for garnish and stir in the remaining breadcrumbs with the apple/rice mixture. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of milk over the mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread the mixture in a buttered casserole dish and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs on top. Cover well with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
** To cook white rice:
(Option 1): In a medium saucepan with a suitable lid, combine 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (there should be a faint hissing with the lid).
(Option 2): Follow a rice maker, usually mix 1 cup white rice with 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon butter, cover with a lid, and turn on the white rice setting.