Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
Crispy and crunchy homemade air fryer French fries. With just a few basic ingredients you can have French fries ready without the mess and grease of classic fried ones.
The air fryer is the fastest way to satisfy a craving. We love it for making Air Fryer Chicken Wings, crispy Air Fryer Bacon, and of course fries.
The Crispiest Air Fryer French Fries
The air fryer method for making homemade French fries is the easiest method for cooking fries. Not only is it so easy to make, but they are also much healthier than frying in oil.
This recipe is so simple; thinly sliced potatoes lightly tossed in oil and seasoning, then cooked until crispy and crunchy. All you need is a Juicy Burger or classic BLT Sandwich to go with these.
Ingredients for the Best Fries
The ingredients needed for homemade fries are so simple and you most likely already have them in your kitchen.
- Potatoes – For this recipe, we use russet potatoes (Idaho potatoes) you can also use Yukon gold potatoes.
- Oil – This recipe calls for olive oil but you can use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Seasoning – We season the fries with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder, but you can use any of your go-to spices.
How to Make French Fries in Air Fryer
- Scrub Potatoes: We just wash them and keep the skins on, but you can peel if you prefer.
- Cut Potatoes: Clean the potatoes and cut them into about ¼” inch strands, making sure all the strands are the same size for even cooking. Rinse the fries under cold water and pat dry.
- Season: Add the fries into a bowl and drizzle with oil and toss, season and toss again. Evenly spread the fries into the air fryer basket.
- Air Fry: Cook the fries until crispy and golden, tossing halfway.
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
That is totally fine, you can bake fries in the oven like we did our oven-baked potato wedges recipe.
How to reheat the French fries?
Add the fries back into the air fryer and cook until reheated and re-crisped.
Do I have to preheat the air fryer?
You do not have to preheat the air fryer for this fries recipe.
Can I prepare the fries ahead of time?
Yes, just clean and cut the fries and keep them completely submerged in cold water in the refrigerator until ready to make. Drain and pat dry before cooking the fries.
What kind of air fryer do you use?
We used our basket-style air fryer because it’s easier to shake and toss the fries, but this will also work in a toaster oven-style air fryer.
Remember your Air Fryer the next time you are craving French fries. This is the quickest way to make them and they turn out extra crispy.
Air Fryer French Fries
Crispy and crunchy air fryer French fries loaded with so much flavor. With just a few basic ingredients you can have homemade French fries ready without all the mess and grease of classic fried fries!
- 1 lb russet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium potatoes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp paprika
Scrub and clean the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into even ¼-inch thick strips.
Rinse the fries in cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
Add the fries into a large bowl and drizzle with the oil and toss. Sprinkle seasonings over the fries and toss again.
Transfer the fries into the air fryer basket* and cook at 380 for 10 minutes. Toss the French fries and cook for an additional 6-10 minutes until the fries are golden and crispy. Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
*We used a larger 5.8 qt capacity, Air Fryer. For a smaller air fryer, cook in 2 batches and once both batches are fully cooked, return them all at once to the air fryer to re-warm for 2 minutes before serving. The second batch may cook a little faster since the basket is preheated.